Friday, January 27, 2012

Australian Women Writers 2012 Reading and Reviewing Challenge




This year I'll be tracking my reading via Goodreads again, which I found really useful last year. I love being able to look back over what I've read, or see recommendations from other people. Last year I set myself the goal of reading a book a week (which I thought I would manage easily), but I didn't come near it. I managed about 26, which I was quite shocked by. This year I have set myself the same goal again, a book a week, but I'm also really looking forward to participating in an extra challenge.

The Australian Women Writers 2012 Reading and Reviewing Challenge has been created in response to much of the conversation in 2011 about whether the publishing/writing/reading community in Australia is supportive enough of women writers. I wholeheartedly agree that we have a huge amount of work to do in this area, so I'm pleased to have something concrete to commit to in order to make sure I keep paying attention to reading and discussing the writing of women in Australia.

I'm all set to do the following:

Franklin-fantastic (read 10 and review at least 4 books)

I'm already underway, having used the recent Writers Victoria library clear-out to pick up some titles by Australian women. My first was Gaby Maher's The Undewharf. I like it a lot, and will try to get a review up for it shortly. It was published in 1995, which really surprised me as it seemed quite contemporary.

You can join in by tweeting @auswomenwriters and posting links to your reviews or discussions using the #AWW2012 hashtag.

1 comment:

Shelleyrae said...

I look forward to seeing what you choose to read for the challenge!

Shelleyrae @ Book'd out